Meadow House under construction
Gary Rosson, Western Soils; Jon X. Giltner, Structural Eng.
Strong Framing Co., Inlighten Studios, Namaste Solar
68. Detail of fireplace stone
At the corners tile setter Erick Muniz carefully toothed in alternating rows of Coppersmine slate in ledge stone pattern.
67. Fireplace cladding
Fireplace shown before and after stone cladding
66. Granite installation by Moros Fabrication
Rey Flores and the crew of Moros Fabrication installs leathered Nordic Black granite counter tops.
65. Interior painting
Painters’ ladders and tools
64. West elevation
West elevation ready for stucco color
63. Rediscovered Woods recycles tree, click for more.
Kevin Kisich brings the sawn tree on site to template the raised counter top. Click photo for more.
62. Namaste Solar lays out panels.
Martin Beggs of Namaste Solar lays out solar array on the roof prior to installation.
61. Gary builds stair rail.
Carpenter Gary Friedlander lays out the rail pieces prior to installation.
60. Wrapped beam
Wrapped beam ready to receive stain and light fixtures
59. Carpenter Matt prepares beam
Carpenter Matt Fitzrandolf installs wood wrap on beam.
58. Carpenter Matt Fitzrandolf inspects wood
Carpenter Matt Fitzrandolf inspects wood.
57. Exterior stone veneer – click here to watch video
Stone veneer on metal lathe by Howard Davis Masonry
56. Boys’ bath floor
Wood texture tiles laid and ready for grout
55. Master bath palette
Tile, pebbles, and paint color for Master Bath
54. Meanwhile, interior finishes continue
Desk by deck entrance in progress
53. August 2012 – Painter
Chad with Dave Barry Painting sprays colored stain on fascia, trim, and soffits.
52. August 2012 – Painters
Painters unmask windows and shingles after color is applied on trim.
51. August 2012 – Exterior painting
Dave Barry’s painters work on long ladders on the west side of the building.
50. August 2012 – Spiral stair by Rob Goehring of Quality Metal Fabricators
Plan view of spiral stair in place
49. August 2012
Scott Reardon, the general contractor, steadies the stairs as Mike and Lou of Quality Metal Fabricators bolt it to the structure.
48. August 2012
Crane lifts spiral stair off the metal fabricator’s trailer.
47. August – Green Flooring Company
Paul of Green Flooring Company walks on the engineered flooring during installation.
46. early August – red birch cabinets from Piper Wycoff of Kitchens by Wedgewood
Cabinet setters’ tools seen in the kitchen.
45. early August
Randy and Rory of Wedgewood install the buffet cabinets.
44. July 2012 – Northwest corner
43. July 2012 – Pondering a difficult detail
Trim carpenter Jack Sasson, general contractor Scott Reardon, and trim supplier Scott Brizol (of Rocky Mountain Forest Products) ponder a difficult detail.
42. July 2012 – Plastic covers windows
Plastic on windows protects them from sprayed primer.
41. July 2012 – Electricians at work
Electricians Jared and Matt with Excel Electric relocate a switch box.
40. July 2012 – Drywaller on stilts
To reach high, tight places, drywallers work on stilts.
39. July 2012 – Drywall scaffolding
Scaffolding used by Fossil Creek Drywall to reach the tall volumes of the living room
38. July 2012 – Insulation
Inside, an installer with Fossil Creek sprays a skim coat of foam insulation under the roof sheathing. Then the cavity was filled with recycled cellulose to achieve a rating of R-53.
37. June 2012 – Garage doors installed
Dave Kilcrease of Reardon Custom Homes ascends the front steps. The newly installed garage doors can be seen in the foreground.
36. June 2012 – Rough-ins continue in ceiling/floor
Rough-ins continue. Carefully coordinated trades fill the joist space between the floor and ceiling with duct lines for air conditioning, orange pipes for fire sprinklers, orange tubing for radiant heat, j-boxes for light fixtures and smoke detectors, red and blue hot and cold water lines, cables for photovoltaics, coaxial cables for media/communications, and electrical wiring.
35. May 2012 – Rough-ins in walls and floors
Meanwhile inside, plumbing, electrical, and air conditioning duct work are roughed in. This is a view of wall in the kitchen.
34. May 2012 – Roofing and front porch
Tony Zurn of Zurn Ply Roofing installs asphalt shingles above framed front porch.
33. April 2012 – Front steps
Boulder Flatwork forms, reinforces, and pours concrete front steps.
32. April 2012 – Back deck framing
Once reinforced columns have cured, they are ready for deck framing.
31.March 2012 – Masons erect block columns. Click here to watch video.
Masons complete third column. Click image to watch video.
30.Masons prepare block
Mason with Howard Davis Masonry prepares block for CMU columns.
29. Window set in place
28.Installing flexible flashing
After window has been fastened into the framing, carpenter applies face flashing.
27.Framers set windows in openings
Window set into opening over thru-wall flashing
26. March 2012 – Window units arrive on site
Framer matches window unit to opening.
25. Opening captures Flatirons
24. Window openings frame snow-capped Front Range
23. March 2012 Roof trusses in place
22. Setting ridge beam – click here to see a YouTube video of this and other framing moments
Mike Dunlap’s framers and boom truck raise the ridge beam
Strong Framing crew braces section of east wall
Boom truck ready to raise large walls
Main level walls framed
Framing in progress
17. February 2012 Framing
Mike Dunlap’s Strong Framing crew builds main level walls
16. February Backfilling
Front end loader seen backfilling through framed lower level opening
Compaction of earth around foundation walls
General Contractor Scott Reardon protects concrete slabs ahead of a storm.
13. January 2012 Structural slab
Detail of rigid insulation over void forms over vapor barrier on gravel base. Over this assembly, the plumbers will lay the radiant heat tubing that will be encased in the structural slab.
Boulder Flatwork prepares the structural slab substrate ahead of reinforcing and pouring the slab.
11. January Forming and pouring foundation
Formed, poured, and insulated foundation walls will be ready for backfill once the main floor is framed in place
10. December 2011 Caissons – click here for YouTube video
Premier Foundations with O’Brien Pumping drill and fill concrete caissons in this video.
A crew drills and reinforces a concrete pier.
8. December Surveying
Flagstaff Surveying stakes the building location.
7. November 2011
View from the meadow where the house will be located.
6. Summer-Fall 2011 Design and engineering
SketchUp three dimensional drawing looking out from the rooftop deck towards the Flatiron mountains of Google Earth.
5. Summer-Fall 2011
Three dimensional drawing of the entry elevation.
4. Summer-Fall 2011
3D drawing of west elevation
3. Summer-Fall 2011
2. Summer-Fall 2011
1. Summer-Fall 2011
Plan view of model